Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ideal Body Weight for Maximum Strength

  Since I'm taking off from weight/strongman training for one more week (don't worry that means I WILL be training this coming Saturday) I figure I'd write about another topic: ideal body weight for maximum strength.

About 3 years ago I weighed 135 lbs. Now I weigh about 160 lbs. That's a weight gain of 25 lbs for a 5 foot 3 inch tall chick! When I was 132 lbs, I basically followed a bodybuilder's diet which didn't allow me to put on more mass. It was only when I upped my protein to 200 grams a day (consistently) that I started to put on GOOD weight. I see some of my fellow competitors who actually limit their strength gains because they just don't eat enough. Strongwoman are NOT bodybuilders and should not eat like one. However, as a strongwoman you also cannot be eating ice cream every night and expect not to gain fat that doesn't do you any good, and instead just slows your fat ass down. You will. You will get love handles and chubby thighs... not cute. Strong, thick, musclely thighs= cute.

Now, NOT ALL WEIGHT GAINED WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER! Most times it will BUT, there reaches a point when some athletes will just "put on weight" instead of actually getting stronger. More weight does not equal more strong.  So, the hard part then becomes finding your optimal strength, at a  corresponding optimal weight so that your strength to weight ratio is the best.

If you are a beginner, I suggest not worrying about your weight. Just eat a ton of protein (at least 1.5 x your body weight in grams) and train smart. If you are a beginner I HIGHLY recommend getting programing from an advanced athlete. Now, be careful about who you go to. I would suggest only going to someone who has achieved an elite level within the sport OR has a record or working with the best athletes in the sport.  

If you are an intermediate athlete, I suggest looking at the top 1-3 athletes in the sport, in your current weight class, and seeing what kind of weights they are pushing. If the top athletes at your same weight or lower weight class are pushing a shit ton more weight then you, you probably don't need to gain more weight. You most likely need to increase you base strength.


If you think you are an advanced athlete, meaning you are
top 3 in your weigh class in the sport, then you know what you're doing and you most likely don't need my advice.

At the end of the day, remember to look around and see what other athletes are doing. My thought was always, "If she can do it, there's no reason I can't do it." Especially if that individual was at the same or lower body weight than myself.  Always celebrate your own PRs but, don't make the mistake of thinking there's not someone outside of your world, your gym, who is probably working harder than you. Always remember that. And make it so that YOU are the hardest working competitor.


- Alanna Casey




2 comments:

  1. So glad you started this blog! Keep the advice and inspiration coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an awesome trainer, but he is a male and although I do look up too him its nice to have a female role model in this sport . I hope you keep this blog up ! Its great !

    ReplyDelete